- When you prefer to go by bike instead of by foot, you can rent an all terrain bike (ATB) and explore the rainforest through some exciting biking tracks.Biking trails
- In the rainforest of Kutai Kartanegara you have beautiful possibilities for bird watching. For example in the wetland areas of Black River in Samboja or the nature reserve of Muara Kaman, upstream the Mahakam.Bird watching
- In the immediate vicinity of Bukit Bangkirai, you can experience the Borneo jungle by boating the rainforest river of Sungai Hitam. This is the so-called Black River, one of the wetland areas in East Kalimantan.Boating black river
- Visit the Borneo Orangutan Survival sanctuary. An experience of a lifetime, to get up close with these beautiful primates and find out how they are prepared to return to their natural habitat.Borneo Orangutan Survival
- At Bukit Bangkirai, you can enjoy the tropical rainforest of Borneo through a canopy bridge at a height of 30 metres from the ground!Canopy walk
Visit one of the most threatened bear species in the world. You can experience the sunbear, which is native to the tropical rainforest in Borneo, from special viewing platforms.
Sunbear sanctuarythe facts
In Samboja, near the orangutan sanctuary and the canopy bridge, you can visit one of the most threatened bear species in the world. The sunbear, which is native to the tropical rainforest in Borneo, is the smallest species of bears in the world. They are threatened and displaced from their natural habitat by human activity. At the sunbear sanctuary, the often called ‘honey bear’ finds shelter.
You can observe these unique bears from special viewing platforms and learn about their life, habitat and behaviour.
The sunbear sanctuary is nearby the Borneo orangutan sanctuary, canopy bridge, black river and biking and trekking trails. If you want to enjoy these adventures, why not stay overnight at one of the beautiful lodges at Bukit Bangkirai or the Samboja lodge?