- When you prefer to go by bike instead of by foot, you can rent an all terrain bike (ATB) and explore the rainforest through some exciting biking tracks.Biking trails
- In the rainforest of Kutai Kartanegara you have beautiful possibilities for bird watching. For example in the wetland areas of Black River in Samboja or the nature reserve of Muara Kaman, upstream the Mahakam.Bird watching
- In the immediate vicinity of Bukit Bangkirai, you can experience the Borneo jungle by boating the rainforest river of Sungai Hitam. This is the so-called Black River, one of the wetland areas in East Kalimantan.Boating black river
- Visit the Borneo Orangutan Survival sanctuary. An experience of a lifetime, to get up close with these beautiful primates and find out how they are prepared to return to their natural habitat.Borneo Orangutan Survival
- At Bukit Bangkirai, you can enjoy the tropical rainforest of Borneo through a canopy bridge at a height of 30 metres from the ground!Canopy walk
Spot the rare river dolphin
Ride a boat in the beautiful Borneo nature reserve of Muara Kaman and go on the look out for the rare river dolphin. In the meantime, enjoy proboscis, long tail monkeys and exotic birds ashore.
Spot the rare river dolphinthe facts
You can spot the river dolphin in the Mahakam river, Kedang Kepala and Kedang Rantau creeks or the Semayang lake. The Mahakam dolphin is an endangered species. Currently there are less than 100 dolphins left.
When you go for the dolphin spotting, don’t forget to enjoy the other beautiful wildlife that you can see ashore. The Muara Kaman nature reserve offers you a beautiful adventure ecotourism experience. It is rich with proboscis monkeys, long tail monkeys, snakes, and many exotic birds including hawkeagles.
You can combine your dolphin adventure with a fishing trip with the local fishermen on the Semayang lake and visit traditional Dayak villages.
Muara Kaman nature reserve is about 3 hours drive from Samarinda.