- Visit one of the most threatened bear species in the world. You can experience the sunbear, which is native to the tropical rainforest in Borneo, from special viewing platforms.Sunbear sanctuary
- Cut the weeds with a machete and find the best places to plant different varieties of native trees. A fulfilling and educational activity to restore the habitat of Borneo’s wildlife.Tree planting and research
- In the immediate vicinity of Bukit Bangkirai, you can experience the Borneo jungle by boating the rainforest river of Sungai Hitam. This is the so-called Black River, one of the wetland areas in East Kalimantan.Boating black river
- At Bukit Bangkirai, you can enjoy the tropical rainforest of Borneo through a canopy bridge at a height of 30 metres from the ground!Canopy walk
- To add to your Borneo adventure, you can go for jungle trekking at Bukit Bangkirai. There are various nature trails available which lead you to the heart of Borneo jungle.Jungle trekking
Samboja is an all-in-one Borneo wildlife and adventure destination close to Balikpapan. It is less than one hour drive from the airport.
Samboja is an all-in-one Borneo wildlife and adventure destination close to Balikpapan. It is less than one hour drive from the airport. You can visit the wildlife sanctuaries of the orangutans and sunbears, walk the canopy bridge at a height of more than 30 metres, engage in jungle trekking or biking activities in the jungle, or explore the Borneo jungle by boat on the Black River. Not active enough? Pick up a machete and join us in our tree planting programme!
You don’t need to hurry. There are beautiful lodges at the Bangkirai hill and the orangutan sanctuary to stay overnight. So relax after your rainforest adventures and enjoy all that Samboja has to offer in an authentic rainforest ambience.