Mahakam upstream offers you a beautiful ecotourism and inland cultural experience.
The area is rich with Borneo wildlife and local fishermen activity. Especially in the Muara Kaman nature reserve, where you can spot the unique river dolphin, proboscis monkeys, long tail monkeys, hawkeagles. On top of that, you can go fishing on Semayang lake and visit traditional Dayak villages.
Muara Kaman nature reserve is about 3 hours drive from Samarinda.
What to see and do?
nearby Mahakam upstream
- At Muara Kaman, upstream Mahakam river, you can find historical evidence of the oldest Hindu kingdom heritage in Indonesia.Yupa site Hindu kingdom
- Join the local fishermen and go fishing on Semayang lake in the estuary of Makam river. Enjoy the sunset at one of the largest lakes in the country.Fishing Semayang lake
- Go into the heart of Borneo and meet the friendly and colourful Dayak Kenyah tribe in Lekaq Kidau. Witness and learn their unique art performances, handicrafts, and dances.Dayak village Lekaq Kidau
- Witness hundreds of Borneo swamp buffalo on their morning swim in the river. It is a spectacular daily routine and part of the buffalo farming in the Mahakam upriver area.Swimming swamp buffaloes
- Ride a boat in the beautiful Borneo nature reserve of Muara Kaman and go on the look out for the rare river dolphin. In the meantime, enjoy proboscis, long tail monkeys and exotic birds ashore.Spot the rare river dolphin